Baker Electric Building, a historic redeveloped incubator space.

From the very start, Baker Electric Building was a place of innovation. In 1910, architect Frank B. Meade designed the Baker Electric Motor Car Building for Walter C. Baker, a pioneer of electric cars, as his first car showroom. The building is listed on the National Register for Historic Places as a historic and architectural landmark. The building is also being redeveloped utilizing green and sustainable design practices and is applying for LEED Silver Certification.

A century later, Northeast Ohio faces a shortage of incubator and post-incubator space for technology companies. The historic redevelopment of the Baker Electric Building addresses this need by providing 52,000 square feet of office and wet and dry lab space for emerging local companies.

Current tenants include Bunge BiPHOR, an innovator in pigments and coatings, Volcano Corporation, developing intravascular ultrasound technology in association with the Cleveland Clinic and Diagnostic Hybrids, Inc. who research and develop molecular diagnostic kits. Other tenants include iNetworks, a venture capital group from Pittsburgh and Cumberland Development, LLC, a real estate developer.

The project is working toward the creation of over 100 new high tech jobs in inner-city Cleveland. As these tenants continue to grow, it's anticipated that they will contribute substantially more employment and tax revenues to Cleveland's economy.

A real estate partnership of Cumberland Development, LLC, New Era Builders and Ariel Ventures bought the building in June of 2006 and immediately began renovation. In May of 2007 Bunge and Volcano moved in as the first tenants.

The $7.1 million project was made possible with the support of NDC's New Markets Tax Credits Program and $1 million from Cuyahoga County's Brownfield Redevelopment Fund.

More Information

In the Press

Image Gallery

Project Summary

Property Description

  • Building Size 52,388 gross square feet
  • Lot Size 84,600 square feet; 1.94 acres
  • Building Constructed 1910; Listed on the National Register for Historic Places
  • Original Architect Frank B. Meade

Amenities

  • All New Building Systems
    • Energy Efficient Geothermal HVAC (LEED Silver)
    • New Building Management System which allows remote control of HVAC by Tenant
    • New Electrical Service to Building with completely New Distribution in the Building
    • New Emergency Generator for Back Up Power
    • New Plumbing Supply, Storm and Sanitary Waste Water Systems
    • New Building Fire Protection and Sprinkler Systems
    • New Building Security System with Remote Access by Tenant
    • New FiberOptic Data and Communication Systems
  • High Ceilings, 12' to 15' available
  • 80 Secured Employee Parking Spaces, 12 Convenient Visitor Parking Spaces
  • On Site Building Management, Staffed 24 Hours, 365 Days/ Year
  • Shared Conference Facilities

Lease Terms

  • Lease Rate is negotiable based upon buildout requirements
  • Space is available within 10 weeks from completion of drawings